how to install wordpress? multiple ways with step by step instructions
note: if you want to install wordpress in local envirement instead of installing in a live website, read my article How to install XAMPP in computer for more details
wordpress is an (open source) content management software which means you can design highly customised site with the propper use of this CMS software, there are almost 19 percent websites are being maintained with the help of wordpress. most of us think that wordpress is a blogging software because of its default layout but they aren’t correct, wordpress has unlimited functionality, in simple words, wordpress can do anything that you can imagine.
if your imaginations are limited, then wordpress is limited for you otherwise it has unlimited features
you can read my analysis about wordpress and blogger in my artical wordpress vs blogger
how to install wordpress
here i’m going to explain the different methods of wordpress installation with step by step instructions. you can install wordpress with any method you prefer
QuickInstall is an auto-installer being used by many hosting companies.
with quick install, you can install wordpress in few clicks
steps to follow:
- login to your hosting account’s cPanel
- move down to the Software and Services section and click on the QuickInstall icon.
This will take you to the 1-Click Installers page on Quick Install. You will see that it offers installation for some popular web applications including WordPress.
- click on WordPress to launch the installer for wordpress.
This will take you to the WordPress installer page where you will see an overview of the wordpress.
- Simply click on the ‘Install WordPress’ button to continue.
This will take you to setup your WordPress install settings.
- now you need to choose the domain name.
If you want to install WordPress in a sub-directory like example.com/wordpress then you need to enter wordpress in the install path field. Leave it blank if you want to install WordPress in the root directory, like yourdomain.com.
- You need to provide a title for your site
this could be anything and you can change it later at any time.
- provide a username, password, and email address for the admin account
You will also need to enter first and last name for the administrator user.
- Once you are satisfied with the settings, click on Install WordPress button to begin the installation.
Quick Install will now install WordPress for you. You will see a progress bar and later success message when it is done.
- Click on the drop down icon next to view credentials button in the success message.
- A fly down menu will appear with login credentials and a link to the admin area of your newly installed WordPress site.
How to Install WordPress using FTP
Manually installing WordPress is also known as the famous 5 minute installation. However, manual installation has some additional added steps, and you will need an FTP client like FileZilla for that.
its recommended to install wordpress with FTP if your cPanel doesn’t provide one click installation
- download the latest version of WordPress.
- Unzip the file using an extractor like 7Z
- use the FTP software to upload the files into your web host directory of your choice.
If you want to install WordPress on your root domain name (like example.com), then you need to upload WordPress files to your website’s root directory. Usually this directory is called /public_html/.
On the other side, If you want to install WordPress in a subfolder (like yourdomain.com/blog), then upload it in a folder /public_html/blog/.
- Once you are done the uploading of WordPress, go to your hosting control panel to create a database.
- In your cPanel, move down to find the MySQL databases and open it
You will see a field to create a new database.
- Enter your database name, and click “Create Database”.
Now that you have created your database but MySQL still needs a username for administration. This username will have access to perform actions on the database.
- On the MySQL Databases page in your cPanel account, move down to MySQL Users section.
- Simply provide a username and password for your admin user and click on the ‘Create a user’ button.
This new user still does not have access to the database you created before. For that you will need to add the user to the database and give them permissions to perform the actions.
On the same MySQL Databases page in your cPanel account.
- move down to “Add User to a Database” section.Select the database user you created before using the dropdown menu below.
- now select database and click on the add button.
- You will be now asked for the privileges you want to allow this user. Select “all privileges”, and finally click on the Make changes button.
Your MySQL database and user are now ready to use.
its time to run the WordPress install.
- go to the URL where you have uploaded WordPress. If it is in the main domain, then enter yourdomain.com in the browser.
You will see the language selection page.
You can choose a language here so that rest of the installation is displayed in your own language. You can also use English for now and then later change the language at anytime.
- Click on the continue button to proceed.
You will now see some installation instructions.
Basically WordPress will tell you that it will need your database name, password, and mysql host information
- Click on the ‘Let’s go’ button to continue.
- WordPress will now show you a detailed form.
You need to enter the name of the database you created earlier.
- Enter your database information for WordPress installation
Fill in the information and then click on submit button.
- WordPress will now connect to your database and will show you a success message.
- Click on “Run the Install wordpress” button to continue.
WordPress will create tables in your database and then bring you to the next step of the installation.
- Now you need to provide some information for WordPress to setup your site.
This includes site title, username, password, and admin email address.
- If you do not want your website to be visible to search engines
check the box next to search engine visibility. Later when you are ready you can change this from WordPress settings.
- Click on the Install WordPress button to continue.
WordPress will setup your website and finish the installation. You will see a success message showing your username.
You can now click on the Log in button to sign in to your WordPress site.
if you need any guidelines on how to install wordpress, please ask me in comments below